Conditions of Participation
1. The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH with headquarters in Eschborn and Bonn ("GIZ") is the organiser of the Innovation Competition „Decentralised Energy in Ethiopia“2020 (labelled „Innovation Competition 2020“ in this document.
2. The Innovation Competition 2020/2021 is open to (i) individuals; and (ii) start-ups and small companies in the ideation, conception and start-up phase; from or based in Ethiopia (collectively "participants") who register themselves and their innovation by 28 February 2021 at the latest using the online registration (Apply Here)
3. Applications by participants should address decentralised electrification approaches that demonstrate unique innovation in terms of feasibility and adaptation, scalability, replicability, affordability and sustainability, contribute to the Ethiopian National Electrification Plan (NEP 2.0), and ideally propose measures responding to the COVID-19 crisis.
4. The following criteria ("Assessment Criteria") will be used to select ten finalists:
- Climate Change and Environmental Impacts
- Economic viability and
- Gender and Social Impacts
5. The top ten finalists can participate at entrepreneurship training and will receive a mandatory coaching for the preparation of their presentation at the pitch competition.
6. During the pitch competition at the final event, the ten finalists will present their business ideas within a few minutes. The three winners (first place, second place, and third place) will be selected by an experts’ jury according to the above-mentioned Assessment Criteria, as well as grading of their presentation by the audience.
7. The three winners in each category will receive a support package individually tailored to their innovation. The support package includes
- Training and Coaching
- International Network and Exposure
- Incubation Support
8. Prizes are none transferable and cannot be returned.
9. The respective support package will be designed together with the winners after the final. GIZ will then carry out the procurements necessary for the respective support package in accordance with GIZ guidelines and make it available to the winners.
10. GIZ reserves the right to exclude participants who provide false or incomplete information, use unauthorized aids or who otherwise violate the conditions of participation in the Innovation Competition 2020 without giving reasons. In such a case, it is also possible that the prize may be subsequently withdrawn. GIZ will ask for a statement in case of suspicion. If this remains unanswered, GIZ reserves the right to exclude the participant from the competition.
11. If a winner does not take advantage of the support package, GIZ reserves the right to decide at its own discretion what to do with the support package.
12. GIZ reserves the right to react transparently to unforeseen circumstances by changing or cancelling the competition, especially in the event of manipulation or if the execution of the competition is endangered.
13. Should any clause of these terms and conditions be invalid, the validity of the remaining terms and conditions shall remain unaffected.
14. The application and participation to the competition will be guided based on the GIZ data protection and security principles and rules
15. Recourse to the courts is not permitted.